First, I am incredibly busy these days at work. Therefore, I haven’t been blogging much. That said, I made time to share this with you today…
Sometimes when I go to trainings, workshops, or conferences I get all worked up about a topic that was discussed. Yesterday I attended a Crimes Against Children Training. One of the topics was Human Trafficking. I am worked up about Human Trafficking. Human trafficking can be either labor or sex trafficking. Human trafficking = Slavery. Period. Here are some other facts:
- Does not require smuggling/transportation
- Does not solely involve foreigners
- Does not require restraints/physical abuse
- Victims can consent
- Victims don’t always want to be rescued or see the need to be rescued
- 3rd largest international organized crime
- Generates multi-billion dollars in profit every year
- at least 50% of sex trafficking involves children
Common vulnerabilities for sex trafficking:
- History of sexual/physical abuse
- Substance dependency
- Child protective services involvement
Social media is used for recruitment.
Elements of Trafficking – AMP (Action + Means + Purpose):
- Action (one of these)
- Means (one of these)
- Purpose (one of these)
For minors, the elements of sex trafficking can be met with just action (recruit, harbor, transport, provide, or obtain) and the purpose of sex.
Hot Spots for Sex Trafficking:
- Backpage (seedy version of Craigslist)
- Truck stops
- Strip clubs
- Escort services
Hot Spots for Labor Trafficking:
- Ethnic restaurants
- Nail salons
- Agricultural/seasonal work
- Traveling sales crews
- Be familiar with indicators
- Partnership with police departments, churches, advocates, etc.
- Proactive/targeted investigations
- Public awareness
Look, people. Human trafficking is a growing business in the US. Below is a documentary about underage human trafficking. I encourage you to watch the video – and really think about how you would feel or what you would do if your child, niece, nephew, neighbor kid, or whoever was being exploited for sex. This is me doing my duty to spread awareness about human trafficking. I’m also seriously considering changing careers to help out children who are being trafficked for sex.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.